6/1/2018 Lesson 6. Personal Space Differences
One of the things I found interesting to mention, is the negative
affect the teacher could have on his/her new students if he/she enters into the
student’s intimate zone. In the Persona Space Ownership reading it states: “…the
intrusion of a stranger into our Intimate Zone causes physiological changes”
such as: “The heart pumps faster, adrenaline pours into the bloodstream and
blood is pumped to the brain and the muscles as physical preparations for a
possible fight or flight situation are made”. [1]
One of the least things a
teacher should do is to create a fight or flight situation in a student’s body
when in reality the teacher just wants to greet a new student or try to be
friendly with a new comer.
We need to respect everyone’s personal space, especially of
those whom we do not know (well). It is even better to keep bigger distance
than smaller, as we might not be aware what is an adequate distance in that
person’s culture.
A Washington Post article posted a comparison how big is the
personal space in different countries. [2]
I find it surprising that in Hungary we tend to keep a big
distance from strangers, though as I remember people were always siting by each
other on public transportation and even get engage in conversations. On the
other hand, when I was living in Finland, there was a very interesting manner,
people would always sit on empty chairs, none would sit by a stranger. I would
that weird, perhaps because Finland has bigger personal space in general and
that’s why when people get into a smaller area they tend to keep bigger distance.
In Hungary the density is bigger and that’s why we do not feel bothered that
much in a smaller place.
Another interesting article I found on “Why Do We Have
Personal Space?”[3]


This statement about physiological changes was incredible to me too. Even the idea that while interviewing a suspect that police use these strategies to solicite a response was very enlightening.
ReplyDeleteWell, hopefully that strategy works well in the police and we teachers then will just avoid scarring our students.
DeleteI learned a lot, it was a great topic.