Friday, June 1, 2018

6/2/2018 Lesson 6. “Attributional Tendencies”



6/2/2018 Lesson 6. “Attributional Tendencies”

  1. What insights did the video give you concerning assessing the behavior and needs of your future culturally diverse students?
-          I think it is important to learn new information about our foreign students, but we still need to be careful as we cannot judge a person according to his/her culture and expect they would behave the way we imagine. I also think, my cultural identity is also highly influencing how I am assessing other people’s behavior and that’s why it is very important to learn about my own culture as well. The teacher should know his/her culture and also should investigate other cultures.
  1. What misunderstandings and problems could potentially surface in the TESOL classroom that you are now better prepared to address?
There could be many possible problems arise in the TESOL classroom such as: 

- misunderstanding someone’s behavior based on his/her personal space needs
Patting someone on the shoulder might not be a good idea on a first lesson.
-                           - Collectivism vs Individualism, where does the student’s culture belong to? Does he/she prefer to work alone or in groups?
-           
                  - cultural differences concerning- time
-                           - different attributional tendencies

  1. What insights did you gain about other cultures and your own culture? How can this new insight help cross-cultural understanding in your classroom?
-           One of the best things I have learned within these lessons were about my own culture. Understanding where my culture belongs to in the World helps me to realize the differences in other cultures. It is important to notice and understand that there are and will be differences between cultures and that is normal. I need to be aware of the differences and that is the only way to be able to understand other people’s behavior.
  1. How do you think your home culture can be improved based on the knowledge you have received about how other cultures handle these situations?
-          I think my home culture can be improved by learning to communicate clearly and with simple words, so there would be less possibility to misunderstand my actions. I have to pay attention what non-verbal signs I might be sending to my students. I need to respect the students’ differences.  

3 comments:

  1. I enjoy this topic tremendously because it help me also to understand myself better. Now, I am aware of my tendencies and must not allow them to interfere when assessing students' behaviors. I am also going to avoid many conflicts in the class and share this theme with the teachers I am working right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    Yeah, it is so true that we learned more about our own culture and at least we could see ourselves from outside and we can be aware how we ourselves would act in different situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you always emphasize the following: "It is important to notice and understand that there are and will be differences between cultures and that is normal. I need to be aware of the differences and that is the only way to be able to understand other people’s behavior." We are all unique, but through love, we can all be one.

    ReplyDelete

6/12/2018 Lesson 8 "Deep Culture in the Elementary Classroom":

6/12/2018 Lesson 8 "Deep Culture in the Elementary Classroom": As an EFL teacher when I taught young adults, I had a lot o...