6/6/2018 Lesson 7. Culture and Psychology
When I was a child I heard my mom saying: “Unfortunately, Hungary
was always on the wrong side of the war. During both of the World Wars we stood
by the losers’ side”. After the 2 WW the Soviet occupation happened. These
constant pressures molded the way how people think and act.
A 1991 piece in The New York Times
entitled "Hungarians Are Thriving, Gloomily" reported that
"Poll after poll shows this nation to be the gloomiest in Eastern
Europe–more unhappy and more fearful about the future than neighboring countries
where unemployment is twice as high, inflation is about to surge back into the
double digits and nationalist extremists are whipping up old hatreds." The
author also quoted Jozsef Antall who in an earlier interview had
said, "A Hungarian will always see the worst. It comes in part from a
peasant mentality, which will never predict a good harvest." Antall
continued, "Just as there is American optimism, which is the motor of
American life, so Hungarians have a tendency to be pessimistic. Every renewal
in our history was always born in pessimism. Even our anthem is
pessimistic."[1]
I am an optimistic person. I try to be optimistic.
Sometimes, it is hard. It is in my mind, it is in my core, it is in my genes to
be pessimistic, but I decided to overcome it and look for the bright future
which we all can have if we give up our natural man/woman and submit our will to
God.
I remember a joke once I heard. A Hungarian family moves to
the US/UK. They put their child into daycare. The teacher from the daycare told
to the parents, that they needed to bring their child to a psychologist because
the child was drawing cruel things. The surprised parents asked what kind of
things their child drew. The teacher answered, a burning snail.
The mom laughed and said: ”Oh, that’s not a problem. We have
a children’s song like that.
Snail-snail come out,
your house is on fire,
you'll get milk and butter,
there will be for tomorrow”
your house is on fire,
you'll get milk and butter,
there will be for tomorrow”
The teacher continued, “OK, and how about the blind crow?”
“That is another song, answered the father.
Cheep, cheep,
jackdaw,
Little blind crow,
My godmother asks for her cart,
I cannot give it to her,
The hens are sitting on it,
Shoo, shoo, shoo!”
Little blind crow,
My godmother asks for her cart,
I cannot give it to her,
The hens are sitting on it,
Shoo, shoo, shoo!”
The teacher continued, and how about the ear and tail less
cow?
The mother responded, yeah, that is another song:
“Spotted,
spotted, cow, cow,
Has no ears and no tail
Where are we gonna live,
Where you can get some milk.”
Has no ears and no tail
Where are we gonna live,
Where you can get some milk.”
The teacher could not endure this and quickly asked: “Don’t
you have some happy songs?”
“Of course, we have” responded the
mother. For example,
“Come
out, sun,
Bright sun!
My little geese are freezing in the garden.”
Know about our own culture is important as we cannot allow
that, that it would negatively influence us. Once we know our own culture then
we can enlarge our perspective and can learn about other cultures as well.
No comments:
Post a Comment