Tuesday, June 5, 2018

6/5/2018 Lesson 7. Differences on Manners


6/5/2018 Lesson 7. Differences on Manners


“So many countries, so many customs” is a true saying. Each country has its own unique culture.
As ESL/EFL teachers we should study other foreign cultures when we have foreign students in our classes, as well as we should spend time expending our curriculum to teach about cultural differences. That way, we could help our students to become global citizens, who are aware of possible cultural differences. We might not be able to teach all the differences, but if we help our students to raise their interest about cultural differences, then we could know that they themselves will search out the differences and will spend time on educating themselves.
We need to be flexible with other foreign students and we should not judge someone after their manners. What is allowed in one culture might be totally rude in another one.
As a child, I remember learning about table manners such as: don’t put your elbows on the table, don’t play with the food, always put your fork on the left hand and keep your knife on the right hand, do not stand up from the table before you ate your meal. It is now funny to me as a mother to teach my children the same thing: take off your shoes when you enter the home (whom ever home you enter), wash your hands when you get home, cover your mouth when yarning, don’t chew loud, oh and I favorite one, do not stare people. I use this one often with my older son 😊

Manners on loud music or noise in Latvia is against the law after 11.00 pm till 7.00 am the noise level should be under 30 dBA. If the noise bothers the neighborhood then they may call the police, who will come to check it. The person can get a warning if it happens the first time, if it had happened previously then they could get a fine.


In Thailand, this is how people wait in line.


What are your favorite local customs which you think everyone should learn?

Source: 1. picture freeimages
2. picture  http://www.strangemedical.com/content/item/199104.html

2 comments:

  1. Is that really how people in Thailand wait in line? At first I thought it was a meme. How funny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good question! My bad, I haven't checked the accountability of the photo because the source seemed trustworthy, but it seems that actually they are also using this method.I found a link to it and there are other similar photos showing these interesting lines of shoes, slippers etc.
    http://www.strangemedical.com/content/item/199104.html

    ReplyDelete

6/12/2018 Lesson 8 "Deep Culture in the Elementary Classroom":

6/12/2018 Lesson 8 "Deep Culture in the Elementary Classroom": As an EFL teacher when I taught young adults, I had a lot o...