5/25/2018 Lesson 5. Cultural Miscommunication
I have a great time listening Brother Ivers lesson about
Cultural Miscommunication, https://video.byui.edu/media/04+Cultural+Miscommunication+/0_3aaa6xxh/28027982
I think there are two types of Cultural Misunderstandings.
The first type is very mild and it doesn’t hurt anyone. The second type is more
dangerous because it could cause real hurt feelings and serious problems.
Such cultural differences belong to the first type when people
from some Asian countries politely refuse complements or refuse gifts when it
is offered to them. In some cultures, it is also polite to refuse refreshments
two times and agree to get it when it is offered the third. time.
The second type of cultural misunderstandings according to
my understanding the different way how some people talk to each other and how
they listen. African American people tend to look at the person when they are
talking to them and look somewhere else when they are listening. In the White
American culture, it is the opposite way.
In Bulgaria and Albania people nod with their head when they
think no and shake their head when they think yes.
I took me a while to make connections with what Brother
Ivers was talking about until I realized that I am actually doing the same
thing. When someone complements on my children, I always reject it and mention
something that they are not doing that well. When someone offers me something I
refuse it even if I want it.
The last time I had a really funny story. I love Family
History work and I really wanted to try to have a DNA test to find out more about
my ancestors. A sister who is serving in a family history calling and we often
exchange letters with each other, one day sent me a letter and offered me a DNA
test as a gift. I know that it is expensive and I kindly refused it. I was
actually so mad at myself, because I really, really wanted that test. I was
even thinking, “
Why am I doing this? Why I cannot just accept it?” She nicely explained that her son made test and they didn’t find out anything special, so she would like to give to someone who is from a different country and who might find out something interesting. I was fighting with my inner-self, “accept, not to accept, ask for it, refuse it”. I then convinced myself that it is OK to accept it and then I wrote her a letter, that I would love to have it.
Why am I doing this? Why I cannot just accept it?” She nicely explained that her son made test and they didn’t find out anything special, so she would like to give to someone who is from a different country and who might find out something interesting. I was fighting with my inner-self, “accept, not to accept, ask for it, refuse it”. I then convinced myself that it is OK to accept it and then I wrote her a letter, that I would love to have it.
I remember a saying my dad taught me. He usually says to me:
“If they give you accept it, if they hit you run away from it”. This is
actually a funny Hungarian rhyme. The funny thing that even though my dad said
this to me, but he does the same thing. He also politely refuses things. On the
other hand, my mom always offers to the missionaries snacks or food several
times. That is really just our culture, we offer to everyone several times, or
at least until they accept it.
Would you like a slice of cake?
I think as an EFL teacher we need to be aware of the cultural differences our students might have. We all want that our students would succeed, so it is our duty to investigate the differences and also to call attention to them, so our students would also know about them. Teaching about cultural differences is also a great topic. It is really an interesting topic and besides that it is very useful. We need to prepare our students to be "international citizens".
I think as an EFL teacher we need to be aware of the cultural differences our students might have. We all want that our students would succeed, so it is our duty to investigate the differences and also to call attention to them, so our students would also know about them. Teaching about cultural differences is also a great topic. It is really an interesting topic and besides that it is very useful. We need to prepare our students to be "international citizens".
I like your idea of teaching these issues to our students. Up until I read you blog, I only watched this video as a way to improve as a teacher myself, but I see now that I can also help my students open their minds a bit more to other ways of communication, so they can be better prepared when they go out into the real world. Thank you for the idea!
ReplyDeleteI also enjoy this part of our lesson and feel grateful for it. I am learning to understand myself better and how I am different in many aspects from others. Culturally speaking, I have been misunderstood several times, and others, I misinterpret those around me. I think the best way to overcome this is learning to accept our differences, accept ourselves for who we are, and change those things that can make us better. There are traditions and other things we need to change to align our lives to the gospel, so this lesson was very interesting to me.
ReplyDeleteSuch great examples, thank you! It's good to hear these personal stories and how you found common ground!
ReplyDelete