Tuesday, May 1, 2018

5/1/2018; Lesson 01: "Is the Great American Teacher Dead?"


"Is the Great American Teacher Dead?"
My whole inner-self is struggling with this title. "Is the Great American Teacher Dead?" When and how did he die? Who thinks it is dead?

As an outsider of the American School System it is extremely hard to write such a post where I need to criticize something with which I do not fully agree with. In my imaginations American School System is working and functioning institution. Since, I became at least partially part of it through BYU-I, I feel happy. Most of my friends got good education and are working in good positions. Would that be just an illusion? It could be as I do not know their struggles.

I have had the opportunity to visit some Finnish schools and if I compare Finnish and American school systems, I found two differences which are the most evident. In Finland the education is free and not just even free, but students can even get a monthly payment from the government to support them while they are studying. In America the education is very expensive.
The other difference is the school lunch in Finland and in America. I found this article http://www.foodrepublic.com/2017/02/21/do-finlands-school-lunches-help-students/
The article suggests that the students might perform better on tests because they receive nutritious meals in Finland.Do you agree?

I still believe that the American school system is a functioning one. After visiting many modern technological sites, I saw amazing creations such as ‘Voicethread’ where a teacher created for the second-grade students an art project where they needed to draw a picture which she then sent to six-graders who then wrote a poem about those pictures and eventually sent to a music school where students wrote and composed music for that same picture. Such technological improvements show me that the education is far ahead from my native land’s education system (Hungary).

John J Ivers quotes Plutarch in his article, where he mentioned that education is more than just exposing people to the facts. A teacher is more than just a person who presents information to the students, because public speaking and teachings are closely related that’s why it is very important how the teacher delivers the message to the students. If the teacher cannot make connection with the students then it is possible that the whole delivery of the information will not happen without the proper medium and communication.

Brother Ivers calls attention to possible pitfalls such as: Teachers should be more creative, more inspiring. They should be more courageous to try some different methods.
A teaching experience should be such where the students feel they do not want to get back to their old version, but instead focus on the future with a more optimistic way. A transformative approach to education is needed.
A research showed that a teacher should catch the attention of the students in the beginning of the lesson. Once it is achieved the teacher should follow a 10 minutes rule, which means every 10 minutes the students’ attention should be rebooted. – Use real life situations, which the students can relate to.



After reading the article I arrived to the conclusion that these problems do exist in my native land, Hungary or in Latvia where I live. These problems are such problems which we teachers can overcome if we focus on the students and not on the lesson. We need to teach students and not lessons.We have to have hope that we will be the change what our schools' might need. 

Sources: Is the Great American Teacher Dead? by
John J. Ivers
Journal of Invitational Theory & Practice. 2012, Vol. 18, p49-56. 8p.
 

J   

8 comments:

  1. Hello Noemi,
    Like you, I don't have any experience with the American public school system. However, I think Brother Ivers is talking more about higher education. My experience with undergraduate education in America is very limited, but it does seem to me that most of those initial classes (the 100 and 200 levels) can be very monotonous. I believe there are always exceptions to the rule, but I agree with you. As we learned in TESOL 101, getting to know our students is a major part of being an effective teacher. Once we know them and their needs, we are better prepared to teach them and make an impression.
    - Karla

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karla!
      As you mentioned that some classes could be very monotonous because of the curriculum or some other reasons and I think that is when it is important that the teachers are creative and they try make it more interesting for the students.

      Delete
  2. Noemi,
    I think that in America, we are facing a challenge: students who are not motivated to learn. I have seen the efforts teachers make while trying to reach them without success. However, I think educators can still make a difference and find new ways to present their materials. Taking the time to know your students better is crucial if we want to deliver meaningful lessons to them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that is really a challenge to learn how to motivate students. I had one experience after I graduated and I started to teach in a trade school which served as a "waiting" place for those students who couldn't get into a university or just wanted to extend their studies with one more year. I worked so hard to make my classes more entertaining and I remember one of my students comment, he said: 'I really don't care about English, I just come here, because it is interesting to be here'. I was so happy, that even though, he wasn't motivated to learn English, but still he felt something which made him to stay and be an active participant in the class. But it was really hard work to prepare to the classes, if I would need to teach some 8 hours a day, then I would not be able to do so.

      Delete
  3. I like how you take on the challenge of really questioning the title of this article. It really does get the attention of us, the readers, because it feels like it can't be true. What are some ways you'll keep yourself from becoming a monotonous teacher? How will you stay focused and excited about teaching?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sister Bitton, I really meant what I wrote. It is really hard for me to understand or realize that there could be problems in the US education. All life I imagined that education must be better anywhere in the world except in my own land, but specifically I imagined that your school system is a good one.

      I am really happy that I found God in my life and I know that with His help it is possible to stay motivated. I don't say that all of my lessons could be very exciting, but I think that it is possible to find a balance and plan ahead of fun and least fun lessons, so the students would also understand that there will be times when we have to study hard, so then after we could have some easier lessons.

      Delete
  4. Hi Noemi,
    In my opinion the teachers are evolving regarding the changes that the education field requires from them. Especially in private schools where are updated in techniques of teaching. Of course, it will depend on the vocation of service of the teachers and the enviroment where they develop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,
      I think you had just written the key concept which is to constantly progress together with the students, together with the technology. So, we could be updated to the current situations. Private schools surely doing it faster and better than public schools, but we as 'modern' teachers could always help the situation in public schools also, by being creative and flexible.

      Delete

6/12/2018 Lesson 8 "Deep Culture in the Elementary Classroom":

6/12/2018 Lesson 8 "Deep Culture in the Elementary Classroom": As an EFL teacher when I taught young adults, I had a lot o...